Making a storage board for all of my sewing threads

So, I recently acquired an entire room to dedicate to my sewing! Exciting yes? I thought so…

Part of me getting comfortable with my new expanded space, was creating somewhere to store all my threads… I finished my project just two days ago, and I’m pretty chuffed with how it turned out!

I started with plain MDF and took inspiration from Pinterest… I wanted some pretty chevron and something bright, and I wanted it to be a bit different from everything that I had seen.

I started with a plain white coat, and used my quilting ruler (seriously, who knew these things were so handy?? I use that thing ALL THE TIME… I can’t even remember if I own any other rulers any more) to draw in the chevrons with the handy dandy 45 degree slanty lines…

I hit a little bit of trouble with the pencil I drew on the board with, because I couldn’t get rid of it, so I had to do ANOTHER (like the fourth) coat of white paint to try and cover up some of the smudges and silly crooked lines.

But, in the meantime, I decided to revamp my project, and add a painting of some flowers to the middle of it. So I sketched out some poppies and added them to the middle- turns out I LOVE it!

Image

I did the sneaky and used painters tape to keep my chevron pattern on the straight and narrow, so to speak, it made it a fair bit less stressful putting in the stripes:

Image

I’ve got to say, painting in the poppies was pretty much the most stressful thing I’ve done in a long time. I don’t DO painting, and I’m not very good at it, so I took things SLOW. Like, I took things at about the speed of a dead fish with it’s tail concreted to the floor.

Here’s the first layers of paint (about an hour of terrified brush wielding…):

ImageEventually, I reached this point, after much discussion with my significant other (who’s an excellent painter, so he was pretty helpful during this process!)…

About two more hours of trepidation later….

Image

Several days elapsed after this point whilst I decided how I was going to finish the poppies… Should I ink them in, try to paint in the stamens, leave them as they were??

I ended up using a super fine permanent marker to add in some definition, and to clarify some of the white/light pink lines. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out 🙂

ImageImageThe purple painters tape I had used was giving me epic colour clash paranoia, so finally being able to remove it was such a relief. Also, discovering that I love the colours I chose was a pretty bit relief too!

Here it is with nails and threads, in situ on my sewing table. I’m glad it worked as well as it did, and I’m super proud of my sneaky painting SKILLLZZ I didn’t know I had!

ImageImage

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Making a storage board for all of my sewing threads

  1. gmariesews says:

    that is fabulous! I love it and may secretly covet it. Wonderful!! Paint more. 🙂 g

  2. Joanne says:

    Wow. That is really amazing. Great job on the poppies! You can sew and paint very well.

    • Thanks very much 🙂 I hadn’t realised until I started being creative again just how much I missed it/enjoyed making things with my hands! It’s lovely to have comments from other people, so thank you 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s